After I clecoed the aft spar to the ribs for test fit, I realized that the middle two holes that mount the 3rd and 4th rib to the aft spar are not lined up with the pre-punched holes in the ribs.
I posted the question with a couple of pictures on =VAF= and got a response from the factory that I need to drill new holes in the rib using the spar as a guide.
Finished preparing the rear spar doubler plates and aileron brackets this weekend. These parts were then riveted to the rear spar using an assortment of AD4 rivets. The last step that remains before attaching to the wing is to ream the rear spar attachment hole to 3/8 inch. That will have to wait until the reamer I ordered from aircraft spruce comes in this week.
Good day’s work today going through page 11-03. I finished countersinking the left wing main spar. After countersinking all of the nut plate attach rivet holes and the skin attach rivet holes, I primed the countersunk portion of the hole by spraying primer then wiping it off of the flat part of the spar flange.
After the primer dried, it was time to install about 60 nutplates, each with 2 AN426AD rivets. The lower flange, I used the Main Squeeze hand squeezer. I had to drill out a couple of rivets, one because it didn’t set flush, and one because I wasn’t paying attention… see below…
Ultimately, they all got successfully installed.
For the upper flange, I used the pneumatic squeezer. It’s a very powerful tool and requires a good bit of focus for me. I was pleased with the results, I had to drill out two rivets that didn’t set flush but it went much faster and less muscle power.
Here’s a video of me installing nutplates, first with the hand squeezer then with the pneumatic. Then I countersink the attach screw holes deep enough to allow the dimpled 0.032 wing skin and fuel tank.
Not a lot of visual progress worthy of pictures today because I spent the day countersinking the main spar. First I did all of the nutplate attach rivet holes since they will need to be of a depth to accept a rivet head. Then I adjusted the countersink cage to go a little deeper and started on the skin and rib attach holes. These holes will need to accept a dimpled skin so they need to be countersunk a little deeper. I have a LOT more of those holes to go but hopefully I’ll be able to finish them tomorrow.
Like I said, not a lot of visual progress but this at least shows that we can fit a car in the workshop garage
Started working on the wing today. Finished page 11-02 by fabricating some J-Channel and match drilling it to the spar using the holes on the spar as guides. I found that cutting the J-channel with a Dremel tool a little long then cutting to final length with the band saw worked best. I left the blue plastic on the J-channel since they will be set aside until Section 14 and installed with the wing skins. I’ll debur and prime at that time too.